now that is a hell of a twist

-----

im not muslim, but i dont fuck pigs...halal that shit

Ikea-Warrior
Starling
average posts: 0.1 per day
Re: Battlestar Galactica
May 17, 2011, 9:15PM

I am slowly working my way through BSG, it's very very enjoyable so far.

You wouldn't really even have to be into sci-fi to enjoy BSG either.

pengs
Starling
average posts: 4.1 per day
May 17, 2011, 11:51PM

^ Exactly. I'm not heavy into Sci-Fi at all.
Hardly at all, actually.

Still have to say it's one of my all time favorite shows.

-----

alone she sleeps in the shirt of man
with my three wishes clutched in her hand

xellence
Starling
average posts: 0.3 per day
June 8, 2011, 1:28PM

finished it

WTFMAJORHEADFUCKBUTSTILLLOVINGIT

-----

when you were playing pogs i was playing snoop doggy dogg,onyx honest i knew hip hop before i knew about god

Pinelli
Starling
average posts: 3.5 per day
June 9, 2011, 5:59AM

You like how Starbuck said "Peace?"
Yeah, me neither.
Still, funny as hell.

-----

Change the way you look at things, the things you look at will change.

1 members enjoyed this post.

xellence
Starling
July 13, 2011, 8:16AM

Apollo: Remember, just head away from the sound of gunfire.
Roslin: What about you?
Apollo: We're heading towards the gunfire.

Starbuck: It's not exactly what I expected. I thought I'd be stepping over decaying corpses in the streets.
Helo: Yeah, we saw a few bodies here and there. Not much though. Sharon said..[Starbuck glares at him.] Cylon Sharon said they had troops picking up the bodies transporting them to mass incinerators.
Starbuck: Your girlfriend's from a lovely family. Good people, great values.

-----

when you were playing pogs i was playing snoop doggy dogg,onyx honest i knew hip hop before i knew about god

Internal_External_S...
Starling
average posts: 0.2 per day
September 6, 2011, 9:18AM

I just started watching it and even turned to Pengs for some input. LoL. I watched the Mini Series followed by a couple of Season One Episodes.

-----

Internal_External_Stimulation

Pinelli
Starling
September 12, 2011, 7:37PM

It is a good way to get into Pengs' pants, you should continue to watch it.

-----

If you could hold your tongue long enough you'd see that all I am is love.

Pinelli
Starling
September 14, 2011, 1:10PM

Trekkies....

-----

If the Revolution ain't gon' be televised, then fuck, I'll probably miss it.

Sgath
Forums Moderator
average posts: 1.4 per day
September 14, 2011, 7:22PM

The only problem with star trek is that it doesn't really capture what it is to be human. It appeals to our sense of hope and secular humanism. But humans aren't sexless, emotionless secular humanists. They hate, and love and are violent and have prejudices. They have beliefs that vary drastically and no one is ever perfectly right, or the absolute good guy. Battlestar captures THAT. Star Trek sets up a boring ideal of what humanity is as a sexless, homogenous pile of emotionless idealists that then proceeds to set up alien foils to make us all realize how great we already are. It's dishonest and too feel good.

1 members enjoyed this post.

Sgath
Forums Moderator
September 14, 2011, 9:24PM

Not really. I don't want to read an epic post about star trek right now sorry lol.

Sgath
Forums Moderator
September 15, 2011, 12:00AM

Ok I only request we have this discussion in short paragraphs, if you would oblige, but I'm glad enough to have it if its short!

1.I don't think sexless human beings is advancement. Sex is one of the most basic things about being alive, and it's largely absent. Only aliens are usually allowed to be sexual at all(like the klingons). I don't think progress means losing tradition, belief, religion and sex. They give flavour and life to humanity. The vision of humans losing these things seems more like hell to me, not a wonderful glorious future. I'd much rather be a fucking klingon than a human in Star Trek!

2. Evil is awesome. I like things that have an element of real truth to them. That speaks to the tragedy of our times. That shows us the folly of our ways and the consequences of our beliefs. Shows like Battlestar and Game of Thrones do that. While I do love Star Trek, it has no realism. The ship gets blasted nearly to pieces and in the next episode everything is fine again. That's not how space exploration works. If something broke on Battlestar it sure as hell stayed broke until the fucking ship fell to pieces. That gives you a sense of real danger. There is none on Star Trek. No one ever dies that's important. No one ever gets hurt in a real way. No one ever gets in a battle they wont win, or lose something they can't have back, no one's life is just plain unfair. It's lies, and not only do humans not operate like that, but the universe doesn't! You can't explore a universe without what we know is true about it, and Star Trek is just cheesy fantasy. There are no innocently ignorant Ferengi out there to play Capitalist foil to our wondrous enlightenment civilization. There are probably giant octupus crabs that would eat your dick and chew on your brain though.

3. I can't believe I'm having a Star Trek debate with you.

[This post was last updated on September 15, 2011, 1:30AM by Sgath.]

Sgath
Forums Moderator
September 15, 2011, 12:06AM

By the way, remember Shakespeare? Yeah. He was great cause he spoke to the world as it was through fiction, not because he lied to us and told us we were awesome. He made people hurt and cry and laugh and love and hate and shit and fuck and curse and sing silly rhymes and talk about gods and myths and legends and dreams and death and.... LIFE, and people LOVED it. Life captured as well as it can be captured in the form of art. Battlestar has some of that in it, and that's why smart people love it. So does Game of Thrones. Star Trek, as fun as it is? No

Sgath
Forums Moderator
September 15, 2011, 1:39AM

Yeah I loved the mirror universe episodes in that series. The Xindi arc was fun too.

Pinelli
Starling
September 15, 2011, 10:23AM

Of course derricks main issue would be lack of oversexed characters. But let's be realistic. You're trapped in the ever-angst-producing cold vacuum of space, getting shot at and hated on in a hostile universe. There would be TONS of sex, and military shit means nothing, they break that rule into atoms.

-----

I'm top dolla, pop tha bottle, pop my colla, pop the glock and bark like a rottweiler.

xellence
Starling
Re: Re: Battlestar Galactica
September 15, 2011, 1:32PM

On September 15, 2011, 10:23AM, ImAWhat said:

Of course derricks main issue would be lack of oversexed characters. But let's be realistic. You're trapped in the ever-angst-producing cold vacuum of space, getting shot at and hated on in a hostile universe. There would be TONS of sex, and military shit means nothing, they break that rule into atoms.

"it means weve got to start having babies"

-----

Pinelli
Starling
September 15, 2011, 2:03PM

"They better start having babies..."
"...Is that an order?"

-----

Shrink your sphere of concern to your sphere of influence, however, neither are fixed.

Sgath
Forums Moderator
September 15, 2011, 2:10PM

So again, that's subjective as well, blah blah blah

Well yes we're talking about a tv show. I made substantial claim that Battlestar approaches an artform that captured something artful. You said everything is subjective. How am I suppose to rebut?

Sgath
Forums Moderator
September 15, 2011, 6:17PM

I love fantasy. I just love fantasy that reminds of us something real and relates to the world we know. Star Trek does that sometimes and when it does it's really great. But more often than not the writing is fairly poor and the it lacks any...inspiration or artistic quality. But I do love it, because when it's good it's really exceptional. Take the episode where Picard gets captured and tortured by Cardassians. That was a really great depiction of the psychology of authoritarian societies and the effectiveness and consequences of torture and dehumanization. (oh and guess who wrote that episode? The creator of Battlestar, yeah..) That's when Star Trek touches on the "real" stuff and gets at the depth of something about what it is to be human. An episode where a random space bug infects the ship and everyone talks meaningless stiff technobabble until it's gone is like watching paint dry, and unfortunately there are more of THOSE episodes than the deep ones.

Also no one is trying to "objectively" assess tv shows. This is all just personal preference. It is impossible to objectively critique because it's a form of entertainment lacking any objective qualities.

[This post was last updated on September 15, 2011, 7:51PM by Sgath.]

Sgath
Forums Moderator
September 15, 2011, 8:55PM

Battlestar has a depth to it that no other sci fi I've watched has. It has a ton of political allegory, and psychological and spiritual explorations. My favourite episodes are probably the ones about the suicide bombings and the occupation of New Caprica, because it interestingly puts the "good guys" as it were as basically the modern day equivalent of Al Quada, and to challenge our preconceptions about terrorism. The show is also a very strong critique of neo colonialism. It's not a coincidence that the twelve "colonies" end up being attacked by genocidal beings that were created by themselves. It's a direct allegory of U.S. interventions and neo colonial control over third world nations coming back to harm the society(via 9/11). In the same sense the Colonials in Battlestar have had their own atrocious moral behaviour come back to destroy their entire civilization, and they have to rediscover what it means to have a civilization, and are they going make the same mistakes again? Is society destined to make the same mistakes over and over?

You could literally write a bunch of masters thesis on the show and the depth of its themes.

2 members enjoyed this post.

Go to page: < 1 2 [3] 4 >
Subject:
Reply:

Add Signature?

Last 10 Members to View This Thread
NameTime
xellenceNov 7, 2011, 9:09AM
Munchkin_GoddessOct 2, 2011, 8:10AM
DrFeeelGoodSep 15, 2011, 11:54AM
JynxSep 13, 2011, 12:32PM

moderator options: